Friday, October 10, 2008

Carhartts, Pumpkins, & Soup

Sure. I love spring, summer and winter, too, but there's just something special about this time of year. Leaves are changing, the air is cooler, and you can practically smell football in the air, even though it's just not as sweet this year--at least not for Auburn. Fall is, by far, my favorite season. Let me join a host of others and tell you why:

1. Chilly weather. There's nothing better than rosy cheeks in the crisp autumn air. Carharrt overalls and cowgirl boots are a staple in my wardrobe, even though it makes my mom cringe. Before I head home, our conversation usually consists of her reminding me to "please bring something home other than those boots!"

2. College of Architecture's annual pumpkin carve. I checked out this event for the first time last year and I am bummed that I missed out on the years before! Hundreds of pumpkins are carved by architecture students and put on display for the community to see. I am still amazed at the talent, time, and effort that went into each detail of every pumpkin. These folks are gifted.


3. Taylor's Bakery. Coffee makes studying a whole lot easier, and the atmosphere at Taylor's is the quintessential place to curl up in your fleece with good coffee and school work. Although nothing beats Taylor's vanilla chai, I must admit that I am partial to Cambridge Coffee's white chocolate mocha- soooo good.

4. Heartstrings. The quaintest little shop on College Street. I worked here my junior year and fell in love with the people, the gift wrapping, and just going to work in general. Since pharmacy school demands too much of my time, I had to give it up, but I am flattered that I still get to help out on Bid Day and decorate for Christmas in October every year--hence the reason Heartstrings made my fall favorites list.

5. Auburn football. You win some, you lose some; however, nothing will change that feeling you get during a Friday afternoon campus jog when you exchange a WAR EAGLE with tailgaters. Cheesy, but it sends chills up my spine and reminds me of why I love this place so much. Auburn football is also an excellent way to lure friends back into town for the weekend.

6. DAD III. For those of you not in pharmacy school, this means Drugs & Disease III. For those of you in pharmacy school, you're wondering why in the world this made it as a fall fave. The studying for this class is painful and the tests hurt even worse, but I actually feel as though I could carry on an intellectual conversation concerning the drugs we've covered over the past 2 months. That in itself is a miracle. I am filled to the brim with random bits of knowledge, dying to reveal it all to you at any moment, although I'm almost positive you won't be as fascinated by it as I am.

7. Mulled cider Tyler candles. Mulled cider is the perfect fall scent and I am a sucker for these smell-good inventions.

8. Soup. Fall is just not fall when there's no taco soup or chili involved. It was and still is a fall essential for my family. Cooler weather = warm soup. My Bible study group had soup fellowship night this past Wednesday, and although I couldn't make it due to a test, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who appreciates it.

4 comments:

Perryn said...

I miss Auburn and carhartts :(

Krisan said...

aw courtney i LOVE this post! i am right there with you... nothing is better than auburn in the fall!! hope your semester is going well, i would love to do lunch sometime, i miss seeing ya'll!

Anonymous said...

i am with perryn.. and i wish i could have gone to the pumpkin carve with you this year!!

Unknown said...

ohh me too!!! and the pretty leaves! i'd have to say i'm a taylor's chocolate chai-er myself.