Monday, July 21, 2008

A Must Read

I love to read. This summer I've been blessed with enough free time to dig into several books, none of which are related to pharmacy practice- thank goodness. John Irving, Nicholas Sparks, Randy Alcorn, James Montgomery Boice, C.S. Lewis and my personal summer favorite, John Piper, have been unbelievably thought provoking. Well, maybe just the last four. Today I finally finished Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper and it's certainly a must read in my opinion. The chapter regarding missions really tugged at my heart, specifically these verses:

And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth." Revelation 5:9-10

After living in East Asia last summer, the concept of making disciples of all nations became real to me. In the short time I was there, I felt the Holy Spirit meet me in the most unexpected places and conversations, and saw him surpass language and cultural barriers that are humanly impossible. I am still overwhelmed to the point of tears when I'm taken back to that realization of how mighty and powerful our God is, and that is only a glimpse of his being. On this earth we are incapable of ever fully understanding it. I am so often guilty of confining God to a box, if you will, and placing limits on his work. Revelation 5 quickly humbles me.
We are called to be oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor (Isaiah 61:3), whether we are planted in a foreign land or at home. He desires our willingness to make him known in all the earth.

1 comment:

The Gentrys said...

Court I love your blog! Your backgrounds are so cute!