Wednesday, July 29, 2009

GPS

I will explain the title of this post eventually, but let me begin with this fact: the majority of our lives are spent waiting. Waiting in line at Kroger. Waiting for the light to turn green. Waiting to graduate. Waiting to get off work. Waiting on the Lord-- probably the most important, most difficult, yet most rewarding "wait" of all.

Hailee told me about a sermon series her church is going through entitled "The Waiting Room." I listened to the first sermon last week and the second one this morning after a failed attempt at an early morning run. God knew exactly what he was doing as he allowed the rain to literally pound me, sending me back home soaked and frustrated, yet prepared for Him to speak through the story of Abraham and Sarah.

No matter where we are in life, we are temporarily stuck in a season of waiting of some form. For Abraham, it was waiting for a son. It's easy to feel as though God has forgotten us, and I'll be the first to admit that I so often question when he's going to remember me. As the first sermon reminded me, God has not forgotten us. He is preparing us for whatever season lies ahead. So what do we do in the meantime?? Well, to state the obvious, we wait--and we systematically remember God's faithfulness to us in the past. Remembering what God has done for us gives us confidence to trust in what he will do for us.

So what's with the GPS??
G: express GRATITUDE for God's faithfulness
P: be PERSISTENT in prayer
S: SURRENDER what you are hoping & waiting for to Him

I'd encourage anyone to listen to this series by Jeff Henderson on the Northpoint Community Church podcast. This is a just a watered-down summary, as I interpreted it.

There he built an altar to the Lord and called on the name of the Lord. Genesis 12:8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been listening to these at work! SO GREAT!!